I have a love/hate relationship with winter. But having winter is better than the alternative – not having it!
Here’s my list of pros and cons.
10 Things I Hate About Winter
- Dark before 5 p.m.
- Having to idle the car when waiting for someone (for heat)
- Sitting near a drafty window
- Uncooperative locks
- Slipping on ice and falling on your butt
- Shovelling snow in the rain before it freezes again
- Driving in freezing rain especially when it sticks to the windshield wipers
- Icy conditions that prevent going out for walks for weeks on end
- The grey-brown landscape when there is no snow
- Those times when you just can’t get warm
The short version is: winter would be fine without the cold and the travel woes
10 Things I Love About Winter
- Watching snow flakes fall
- Beautiful snow-covered trees (or even ice-covered trees)
- Being snowed in on stormy days, home safe – with electricity
- Skating on a lake
- Knits: chunky sweaters and scarves
- Television: Superbowl, Academy Awards, Grammy Awards
- Peppermint lattés
- Warm bowls of soup or stew
- Lighting candles in the evenings
And another thing I love about winter: no black flies or mosquitoes!
What are your loves and hates?