I did my first monthly spending report in September which brought me up to September 25. You would think I’d be very motivated to spend nothing for that last week, because I was holding myself accountable by posting here. No such luck – I carried on full-tilt!
- $2.15 baked potato for lunch at Wendy’s restaurant – eating on the run between meetings
- $500.00 savings – last savings installment for trip to NYC next Spring!
Total for Sept. 25: $502.15
- $8.00 highway tolls
- $7.80 Tim Horton’s coffee for 3. Perhaps a doughnut too?
- $50.00 charitable donation
I attended a family funeral with my parents; not a fun spending day. Total for Sept. 26: $65.80
- $7.80 snacks
- $12.10 groceries
Total for Sept. 27: $19.90
- $58.96 groceries
- $12.45 produce
- $10.20 unaccounted for
- $2.25 small change went into “penny jar”
Total for Sept 29: $24.90
I can’t believe I have over $10 “lost” when I’d been tracking my spending every single day! I could not account for it no matter how hard I tried!
- $4.90 New Arctic Monkeys album (remainder $5.09 paid with credit on iTunes account)
- $3 bank charge
Total for Sept 30: $7.90
Total for Sept 25-30: $679.61
Total for whole month: $4398.37
A little breakdown of my spending for the month goes like this:
- New savings: $1366 (31% of all spending)
- Travel (paid from prior savings): $977.98 (22%)
- Groceries, Snacks, Cleaning Supplies, Paper Goods and Personal Care $522.98 (12%) – budget is $550
- Link’s expenses: $250 (6%)
- Insurance (house and 2 cars): $217.43 (5%)
- New smartphone and accessories: $197.09 (4%)
- Internet, Cable TV and Land Line: $166.09 (4%)
- Entertainment: $164.40 (4%)
- Gifts: $157.80 (4%)
- Gas and Tolls for Car: $116.28 (3%)
- Dining Out and Cafe Snacks: $115.30 (3%)
- Charity: $55.00 (1%)
- Pets (Cats) $50.92 (1%)
- Work expenses to be reimbursed: $20.00
- Unaccounted for: $10.20
- Small change put in “penny jar”: $6.90
- Bank charge: $4.00
This wasn’t a typical month. There were no power, water or heating bills, and I only have travel expenses twice a year! I went to the shopping mall for the first time in months, to buy a smartphone. It felt very consumery!
I bought food – groceries, snacks, café treats or meals out – on 17 out of the 30 days last month, including 12 trips to my local grocery store. While I am not overly concerned about my grocery spending, I am appalled by the inefficiency! Even though I meal plan, I am out buying snacks every other day. In fact, the longest I stayed OUT of the grocery store was 3 days in a row! I am probably their ideal customer, popping by every couple of days to succumb to cravings.
Since October 1, the only snack food I bought is a box of Girl Guide cookies that were being sold door-to-door. I never refuse them because I did my time in Brownies and Girl Guides and I know how it feels to go door-knocking! So that puts me in a good position to make a resolution for the rest of October. I am not going to take up the Droptober Challenge (I have a birthday coming up!) but I would be very pleased with myself if I could limit my food shopping to just weekly.
I also think it looks very bad that I spend as little on charity as I do on my cats, but I am one of those people who makes big year-end contributions. I think I’ll start monthly direct deposits to my favourites in January – although I can imagine how many times they will contact me to “up” my contributions each month!
In October I have several irregular bills: property taxes, insurance renewal (going up, as usual), fees for a new passport. and significant dental work At least they will all be out of the way before year-end.
If you have ever examined your daily spending, what did you conclude? Are you in the stores almost every day, like me?