The time most people shop for groceries in my area is Friday after work: the grocery flyers come out on Thursday, the sales start on Friday, and everyone stocks up on their commute home before the weekend. Rather than fight the crowds, Saturdays or Sundays have worked out fine as shopping days. (I have found that the stores can be low on sale items by Monday or Tuesday).
This week we returned to Sobey’s after our less-than-impressive shopping expedition at Superstore last time.
This week went well for our meal plan:
- Sunday – Mushroom omelette and toast for lunch; goulash at my parents’ place for dinner
- Monday – Leftover lasagna and veg for lunch; cheese/crackers/olives/spreads for dinner
- Tuesday – copied salad from Magic Oven restaurant for lunch (greens, avocado, goat cheese, walnuts, dried cranberries and raspberry vinaigrette), whole wheat crackers, + yogurt after; roast beef sandwich and carrot sticks for dinner (between work and evening meeting)
- Wednesday – Hummus, pita bread, olives, carrot sticks and yogurt for lunch; pork chops, mashed potatoes and green beans for dinner
- Thursday – Avocado/tomato/pepper jelly sandwich + yogurt for lunch; chicken stir fry and brown rice for dinner
- Friday – Borscht, bagel and yogurt for lunch; meat loaf (homemade frozen), baked potato and peas for dinner
- Saturday – Pancakes and fruit for lunch; salmon with sauce, frozen veg and leftover brown rice for dinner
Rom takes meat or cheese sandwiches and fruit for lunches every work day. I crave variety!
The only glitch was that Rom went shopping for a major wardrobe upgrade today, and we ran out of time to cook the turkey we bought in time for dinner, so we cooked it anyway and it is now ready to carve up for sandwiches…at 10:30 pm!