I like the feeling of a clean and orderly house: it makes my brain feel clean and orderly, too. And not just cleaning, but organizing and doing all the other tasks that beg to be done. I jump into some tasks and avoid others.
This is a follow-up to To-Do List Delay Tactics.
Here’s what I like, what I don’t mind, and what I despise!
House and Yard Related
- Meal planning
- Grocery shopping
- Cleaning the fridge
- Doing laundry
- Tracking budget and paying bills
- Filing income tax return
- Mowing lawn
- Trimming shrubs
- Shovelling snow
- Cleaning cat litter box
- Cleaning up hairballs
- Taking out garbage
Hesitate (I do these things routinely, but with sighs):
- Doing the dishes (in the sink)
- Unloading the dishwasher
- Emptying and washing the compost bin
- Cleaning out the toaster
- Making yogurt
- Shredding documents, cleaning out shredder
- Cleaning the bathroom
- Mopping floors
- Putting gas in the car
- Shovelling snow in the rain
- Hand washing clothes
- Cleaning/polishing shoes & boots
- Cleaning the oven
- Cleaning the microwave
- Putting air in car tires
- Using string trimmer
My child recently moved out, but here is my list for parenting a 16-18 year old!
Parenting-Related (Older Teen):
- Having child’s friends in the house in the morning before school/work
- Participating in fund raising campaigns
- Giving driving lessons
- Dealing with truancy
- Enforcing bed time
- Attending curriculum nights and parent meetings at school
- Supervising parties / sleepovers at home (had lots)
- Extra floor cleaning because of tromping through the house in boots
- Extra kitchen cleaning because of sketchy job by said teen
- Homework help
- Clothes shopping
- Road trips / vacations
- Attending concerts, art shows, etc.
- Chaperoning events
Overall, Link was easy to deal with and I was very fortunate.
I’d love to know about your favourite and least favourite household tasks!