Fifteen months ago I made a full inventory of all the clothes I own, and made a few pledges:
- Try everything on
- Keep only clothes that fit now
- Chuck anything I hadn’t worn for a year or more
- Wear everything I’m keeping – no exceptions – and decide if I still want it
- Replace or get rid of anything in poor condition
- Discard dated clothing (irredeemably out of fashion)
- Eliminate duplicates
- Pare down
- Make a list of needed items and stick to the list when shopping
- Stop buyers’ remorse – buy more thoughtfully
- End up with a smaller wardrobe of clothes I love and want to wear every day!
So on January 1, 2012, I had 480 items of clothing, if you count every single scarf and pair of socks! I said that 263 of them were “substantial” items of clothing:
- 180 tops
- 26 pants (trousers)
- 2 suits
- 4 dresses
- 6 skirts
- 13 coats and jackets (outerwear)
- 33 pair footwear
Total 264 (corrected math error!)
My current numbers are:
- 104 tops (-76)
- 24 pants (-2)
- 0 suits (-2)
- 3 dresses (-1)
- 4 skirts (-2)
- 11 coats and jackets (-2)
- 24 pair footwear (-9)
Total 170 (-94)
I did actually revisit my accessories and little things too, and they went down from 216 items to 183. So my “total total” has been reduced from 480 to 353.
Since I have been taking photos for the purpose of a home inventory, I thought I would give you an uncensored peek at everything I have. We all know each other, right? And I am sure that any readers who know me in real life would never talk to me about my sock drawer!
I have 5 places where I store clothes: two dressers, one shelving unit for sweaters, one bedroom closet (measuring 24” x 58”) and a “hall closet” near the front door where Rom and I keep our coats. Poor Rom has only one half-size closet and one dresser, but we won’t go there.
With no further ado, here is my wardrobe!
You can click on a photo to start a slide show, if you like.
I would sincerely welcome suggestions: maybe there are clothes items that you have and love, but you don’t see here?
Now I am scheming. The sweater organizer has lots of empty space, and there is a reasonable amount of drawer space too. Maybe I could empty the sweater organizer and fit everything into the dressers? Then Rom could have the sweater organizer for his sweaters and T-shirts. I think I can do it!
Or I could just buy more stuff 🙂