It’s coming to the end of fresh salad season where I live. The weather will cool off and all the lettuce and greens will soon be imported again. The grocery store is giving away free romaine with every order. Hmm, how many salads can I actually eat?
My Favourite Salad contains lots of treats and is not economical. At all. I will share anyway and hide from negative comments in my elitist refrigerator 🙂
It was loosely inspired by the Summer Sweet Salad at the Magic Oven restaurant chain, which is made with baby greens, avocado, mango and walnuts.
This recipe makes 1 large meal-sized salad. I upsize it four-fold to make a large bowl to share with a group of people.
- About 6 large outer leaves of romaine lettuce, washed and patted dry, then torn into bite-sized pieces
- 30 g crumbled goat cheese
- 30 g walnut pieces
- 15 g dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/4 cup tinned mandarin orange pieces, drained
- 3 tablespoons prepared salad dressing (I use raspberry vinaigrette)
Some substitutions I’ve tried are sliced strawberries, mangoes, peaches or avocado for the mandarin oranges, and pecans for walnuts.
This salad is high in calories but high in nutrients too, so it keeps me going all day.
Do you have a favourite or “default” salad?