Are you a completist? Do you collect everything in a series? Watch whole seasons of TV shows? Read every book by an author?
I’m more of a dabbler, but there are times I just need ALL of them:
- I have read all the Sue Grafton alphabet mystery novels: from A is for Alibi to the current one, W is for Wasted.
- I’ve read all the books by Douglas Coupland and Nick Hornby, my favourite authors. Even the football ones.
- I have all the studio albums by the White Stripes, The Strokes, Arcade Fire, Tegan and Sara, and Sigur Ros (all of whom are recent bands without huge outputs) – however, I have also collected digital singles, B-sides and EPs by some of them, and everything by Arctic Monkeys!
- I have never watched every season of a TV show. However, I am up to the current season on Game of Thrones, and I hope to catch up on Downton Abbey.
- I am trying to watch all the animated movies by Hiyao Miyazaki (My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, etc.) but there are some obscure ones.
- Shockingly, I have seen all the Harry Potter movies but only read the first book!
- Rom has the extended editions of all the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings movies.
- He also has at least one booster pack of every edition of Magic the Gathering since The Dark expansion. (Kudos if that makes sense to you!)
- We have loads of LEGO sets at our place but have never tried to collect them systematically.
- Acquisition was at its worst when Link was young and it was the height of mania for both Beanie Babies and Pokémon. Link has played every Pokémon video game from Pokémon Yellow Pikachu Edition (1998) to this year’s X and Y.
- When I got an Ice watch, I craved one in every colour. Gotta catch ’em all? I got over it.
- Rom and I have visited every vegetarian-friendly restaurant in our area (all 12 of them) – over 3 years.
- When in Toronto or London, we want to see ALL the concerts and plays and museums, but fortunately, that is not physically or financially possible.
I try to keep my consumer urges in check but sometimes they get the best of me.
What’s your thing? Every colour of a nail polish? Every issue of Hello for the past 5 years? Every episode of the last 4 Dr. Whos? Are you trying every flavour of Lindt chocolate bar? What do have all of, or read or watch all of?