My spouse and I have only been married 3 years and we still have lots to talk about. However, I am not sure our daily conversations are completely…normal.
I would guess that for a couple who have known each other for a long time, the daily conversation would include:
In morning –
- what’s going on today
- commitments you dread
- things you’re looking forward to
- near future, e.g. looking forward to weekend
- the weather
- necessities, such as errands, bills and repairs
- reminders to the other to do something
- brief comments and compliments such as “You look nice” or “You should buy new shoes!”
In evening –
- what’s for dinner
- how was your day
- what the kids, parents or relatives are doing
- directives, e.g. – I’ll put the groceries away and you scoop the cat box!
- dreaming/planning, e.g. next vacation
- what didn’t get done today because too busy or tired
Are your conversations like that? I have my share, for sure!
Over the past week, some of our topics of conversation have been:
- New Magic the Gathering products
- Magic the Gathering marketing strategies
- Quality of filming of Magic the Gathering tournaments online
- Specifications of various Fender and Gibson guitars
- How to tell a Jazzmaster and a Jaguar apart
- Guitar buying wish list
- Number of frets on a guitar neck and why the dots are where they are
- Johnny Marr’s influences
- Bands to see at Halifax Pop Explosion (before)
- Best bands at Halifax Pop Explosion (after)
- What guitars and equipment each band used
- Sound quality at various concert venues
- Friend’s new dog as shown on Facebook
- Exploits of bosses, co-workers and customers (anonymously, of course)
- Whether it is worth it to try to reduce grocery spending
- Spending cash versus using debit card
- Possible iron deficiency in diet – to supplement or not?
- Plans for space after 2 rooms cleaned and decluttered (in progress)
- Speculating about listing unwanted stuff on Freecycle
- Desire for new iPad Mini
- Description of current book, Too Big to Know
- Description of current DVD, French Immersion
- Whether to attend Jian Ghomeshi reading
- Whether to attend Sheepdogs concert
- Whether to try old bread maker with no manual
- Taste of the ensuing bread
- Local election
- Whether 100% of the donations you make at store checkouts go to the charities
- When to take remainder of vacation time
- Celebrating Rom’s 3rd anniversary of moving to Canada soon!
I bet you can guess who introduced which topics! I just asked Rom what he remembered of our conversations this week and he said, “Guitars, iPad” and then drew a blank 🙂 but only temporarily, and joked that there were lots of things he told me, versus having an actual (ahem, two-way) conversation.
On a “good” week, we talk a lot more about the news, and we quite often discuss philosophy and linguistics – honest! That’s what comes of not having young children at home who are running around calling each other poopy-heads and the like.
Such is our daily chit-chat. What is it like at your place – spouse, children, room mate – or with yourself?