I call myself anti-consumer, but I do consume one of the guiltiest pleasures of all: celebrity gossip, more politely known as entertainment news. I’m not my office “go-to” gossiper, but I’m not disconnected, either. Where do you fall on the celebrity news spectrum?
- In the supermarket check-out line, you don’t even glance at the tabloids long enough to ask “What’s a Kardashian?”
- You admire Michelle Obama for her campaign against childhood obesity, and she gets bonus points for the White House garden.
- You bought into the office pool on Will and Kate’s baby birth date.
- You hope Jen beats Brad to the altar.
- Ryan Gosling or Ryan Lochte?
If #1, you live a cloistered life (but have no fear, you’re not missing much!)
If #2, you are not a celebrity hound. You can’t help it if famous people are attached to legitimate news stories.
If #3, you are a social gossip and it’s all in good fun.
If #4, you have been following celebrity gossip for a long time and you have a vested interest!
If #5, you are a trend spotter and you’re probably looking at pix of hotties on another tab!
The way I see it, most of us have our weak spots. For example, I don’t watch network TV, but I am a serious rock music fan and I always know who is in and out of what band, and when their next single or video is coming out. Just in the course of checking the news every day, I seem to keep up on:
- politician’s bad behaviour, and which of their spouses are style icons;
- royalty, and how they carouse like commoners;
- trainwrecks, like Lilo’s many trips to court and/or rehab;
- couples – who’s on and who’s off (Yes – Tiger and Lindsey. Not sure – Miley and Liam. No – Nina and Ian.)
- fashion – who wore what when
- nudes – and who should have worn something when they didn’t!
- fitness – with claims of baby bumps every time 5 lbs are gained
- firings – What? Randy’s off Idol? Or did he quit?
- up and coming – new release movies and TV series (24 is coming back?)
- awards – I do like the Oscars and Grammys and Junos and Brits and…
- babies – not only is every baby this year named Ivy, but Suri might have her own fashion line!
- and who’s gay – because I am an LGBTQ advocate, I want to know!
If this post has left you shaking your head in puzzlement, you are a worthier person than I.
I confess to copping a little research. How else was I to find out why Martha Stewart and promiscuity are being bandied about in the same sentence?
What does your enquiring mind want to know when it comes to celebrity news?