Stopping by for a check-in. Thanks to readers for looking up my weekly quick updates on the Facebook page!
The first half of March went ahead as planned. We spent $137.26 in one shopping trip, and walked back a few days later to spend another $28.35.
Today was our second full shopping trip. Here’s the menu plan:
- Everyday breakfasts – toast with peanut butter, bananas, oatmeal or Alpen muesli cereal with milk/soy milk, Rom has some English muffins
- Everyday snacks – apples, grapes, clementines, popcorn, Rom has graham crackers
- Sat Mar 16 (today) – lunch – the rest of the potato-broccoli frittata (it was delish)
- Sat Mar 16 (today) – dinner – built a pizza using a store-bought pizza crust (added veg, olives and cheese)
- Sun Mar 17 – lunch – the rest of the pizza
- Sun Mar 17 – dinner – at my parents’ place
- Mon – Fri Mar 18-22 – my lunches – salads, nuts, crackers and yogurt (I had chick peas and rice last week so I am happy to have fresh veg for salads again)
- Mon Mar 18 and Tues Mar 19 – dinner – chili with tortilla chips (unopened storm chips!) – will freeze the rest of the chili for next week
- Wed Mar 20 and Thurs Mar 21 – dinner – lentil shepherd’s pie
- Fri Mar 22 – dinner – pumpkin macaroni and cheese
- Sat Mar 23 – lunch – popover pancake (we make a similar recipe with 8 eggs = 4 servings)
- Sat Mar 23 – dinner – the rest of the pumpkin mac and cheese
- Sun Mar 24 – lunch – the rest of the popover pancake
- Sun Mar 24 – dinner – at my parents’ place
- Mon – Fri Mar 25-29 – my lunches – baked potatoes, cheese toast or cheese sandwiches, hummus with veg, yogurt
- Mon Mar 25 and Tues Mar 26 – dinner – chili (from freezer) – I wonder if we will have any chips left?
- Wed Mar 27 and Thurs Mar 28 – dinner – stir fry with veg, vegetarian sausages and udon noodles
- Fri Mar 29 and Sat Mar 30 – dinner – carrot rice casserole (this is like a crustless quiche)
- Sat Mar 30 and Sun Mar 31 – lunches – pizza!
- Sun Mar 31 – dinner – at my parents’ place
It probably seems like we eat pizza constantly but there are 3 weekends in the month so we are really only having pizza every other week.
I know my parents are subsidizing our food budget 🙂 It’s not all a one-way street – this month I did their taxes for them, and I have booked off a day to clean their kitchen cupboards and china cabinet from top to bottom!
Here is what we bought today to last until the end of the month – we have spent the whole budget! (the spending includes the cost of any unopened items we had at home as of March 1, and consumed during March):
When I look at these pictures I feel very sad about all the plastic 😦
I’ll be back at the end of the month with a full report. I hope you are eating well and feeling well!
Have you found any good grocery deals this month? Are there any foods you’ve stopped buying because the price has gone up too much this year?