What is a hippie food? Granola, of course.
Where do yuppies go? Starbucks!
What do you eat because they’re good for you? Vegetables, for sure. Why wasn’t I ever told, “You should try these green beans; they are crisp and delicious?”
I was thinking about what food automatically pops into my mind when I hear Local Food, Fresh Food, Fast Food, Hearty Food, and so on. I’ll provide my list first so you can do it yourself, then I’ll give you my own personal food associations. It would be fun to read some of your answers!
The following list is available as a Word document if you want to try it offline: Food Association Quiz
What is the first food (or drink) that comes to mind when you read these?
- Fast Food
- Junk Food
- Greasy Food
- Obesity Culprit
- Order-in Food
- Take-out Food
- Kid Food
- Snack Food
- Addictive Food
- Packaged Food
- Decadent Food
- Little Indulgence
- Connoisseur (Snob) Food
- Repulsive Food
- Hearty Breakfast
- Light Lunch
- Fine Dining
- Healthy Food
- Fresh Food
- Seasonal Food
- Local Food
- Best Pick-Me-Up
- My Country’s National Food
- Best Thirst Quencher
- Girly Drink
- Lunchbox Staple
- Pantry Necessity
- Frozen Treat
- Something in a Jar
- A Food I Could Eat Every Day
- A Food I Would Never Eat
- A “Poor People’s Food”
- A “Rich People’s Food”
- A Dish That’s Too Complicated to Make
- I Can’t Believe I Ate the Whole Thing!
Here is a picture to distract you from looking at my answers until you’re done:
My own answers are:
- Fast Food – McDonald’s
- Junk Food – chips, but especially Doritos!
- Greasy Food – burgers
- Obesity Culprit – soda pop
- Order-in Food – pizza (phone for this)
- Take-out Food – Chinese food (go pick this up)
- Kid Food – chicken nuggets
- Snack Food – Goldfish crackers, my favourite!
- Addictive Food – popcorn – or kettle corn!
- Packaged Food – cookies (like Oreos)
- Decadent Food – cheesecake
- Little Indulgence – dark chocolate
- Connoisseur (Snob) Food – paté
- Repulsive Food – poutine
- Hearty Breakfast – bacon and eggs (I prefer oatmeal)
- Light Lunch – soup and crackers
- Fine Dining – rack of lamb and rosemary potatoes. Not that I would order this – truffle gnocchi, maybe 🙂
- Healthy Food – stir fry – with brown rice
- Fresh Food – salad
- Seasonal Food – strawberries
- Local Food – fiddle heads
- Best Pick-Me-Up – coffee. Although I have learned that crunchy foods like raw carrots and celery make me more alert in the afternoons!
- My Country’s National Food – Kraft Dinner! (boxed macaroni and cheese)
- Best Thirst Quencher – ginger ale. I know I should say water.
- Girly Drink – Singapore Sling. With an umbrella!
- Lunchbox Staple – sandwich
- Pantry Necessity – flour
- Frozen Treat – Freezies
- Something in a Jar – pickles
- A Food I Could Eat Every Day – pizza!
- A Food I Would Never Eat – sheep’s eyes?
- A “Poor People’s Food” – Mr. Noodle (ramen)
- A “Rich People’s Food” – caviar
- A Dish That’s Too Complicated to Make – anything in puff pastry made from scratch
- I Can’t Believe I Ate the Whole Thing! – a bag of jellybeans ::blush::
There might be a point to all this…if you think of risotto as “something you could never make,” you won’t have the experience of finding out it’s not that hard. (You just have to stand there at the stove for a long time!) If you think of lentils as a “poor person’s food,” you might be less inclined to do Meatless Mondays. If Diet Food makes you think of iceberg lettuce, you might associate dieting or healthy eating with deprivation. I think I need to un-learn some of my automatic associations and keep an open mind!